Friday 4 February 2011

Skins s05e02 review

I'm a cynical man. I hate easily. I spend a lot of my TV watching time raging out at idiots on adverts. I've been known to shout at the TV (I hate the guys in Jackass for example, and shout about how they're assholes who got too rich). I don't think I've never been so angry as I was last night watching the new episode of Skins.

the worst man alive
This episode followed Rich - the most dislikeable person I have ever seen. He's a 'metal head', who only has one friend (one too many). The episode revolved around his fear asking out a girl and some people trying to help him. That's all they were doing and he was an unbelievable dick to all of them. I can't get out how awful he was.

Every single time he spoke to anyone it was about how much he hated them for not being more like him. Grace, a girl he didn't even know, went out of her way to help him talk to a fellow metal head, a girl they called 'the angel of death', and he told Grace that she was 'everything he despised about the world' . She stuck with him and tried to understand his world more by coming to a record shop, listening to metal and he just told her she wouldn't get it and she was an idiot. Then she listened to some of his music and actually liked it, and he told her she still didn't get it and she was an idiot. Then she tried to talk to him about her passion - ballet - and he said it was for idiots and gays and she was an idiot for even daring to like anything but the exact same thing he liked. His mate told him not to be such a dick all the time and he said 'hey, I'm metal, I don't compromise'. OH REALLY, YOU'RE METAL ARE YOU? I DIDN'T KNOW.

Somehow, and I really don't understand this at all, the ballet girl began to like him and wanted him to ask her out. After he turned him down, his mate dared to insult metal and in a rage he went to spend £500 on what we found out earlier in the episode from a character called Chemical Mike was the 'heaviest album ever made'. Guess what it did? It made him go deaf. I wish it killed him. BTW, while buying his album he called the owner of the shop a 'sell-out' for reading Heat.

So rather than go to his metal show he's been banging on about all episode he goes to see this girl in a ballet. Oh, and its so beautiful it makes him cry. At this point my head almost exploded. She comes to the metal show with him anyway after her show 'cause she's willing to experience his world. Then his hearing comes back the next day for no real reason and he chickens out asking her for a date. At this point I was shouting at the TV 'I hope you get hit by a bus like Tony you fucking idiot'.

The sad thing is I know people like him really do exist in real life. People who like some crap music and think their point of view is the only point of view and refuse to change that even a little. I just wish I didn't have to sit and watch a person like that for a solid hour. The only redeeming part of his episode is Grace - the girl trying to help Rich the metal head. She hangs out with Mini (who we met last episode - think Mean Girls) who treats her badly and Grace just goes along with it - but she seems untouched by it somehow, like she's getting something from the relationship we don't know about yet. She has a passion for ballet but instantly understands the appeal of metal. She can inhabit these different worlds and still be herself. Grace is brilliant.


This episode was not bad it itself, I just hate that Rich guy so much it was almost unwatchable. I'll give it FOUR THUMBS UP.


Catch up with classic Skins with Skins, Vol. 1, Skins, Vol. 2, Skins, Vol. 3 and Skins, Vol. 4

2 comments:

  1. I really like your reviews Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear Rich refuses to accept his change in anything but coinage.

    Why?

    "Because it's more metal".

    ReplyDelete