Wednesday 23 March 2011

How I Met Your Mother s06e19 review

Barney met his dad... because of a letter he sent. I don't even remember him sending that letter, but the season had aired weirdly this year with some weird long gaps.

John Lithgow plays Barney's dad. I couldn't really get behind that as the last thing I saw him in was Dexter, and he was a crazy evil serial killer in that, just pretending to be a nice family man. So, when he was a a nice family man in this episode I couldn't shake the feeling he was planning to kill Ted and the gang in horrible ways as soon as he could. Who knows, maybe he sliced Ted up a bit off camera. He'd deserve it.

This seasons been a bit heavy, Marshall's dad died and now Barney meets his dad who's been missing for something like 25 years. Marshall's dads funeral was a moving moment, but this episode just seemed hollow. I don't like Barney as a interesting three dimensional character, I want him being funny and banging chicks. Its what he does best. We have the rest of the cast to have deep moments, just let Barney be funny. Jesus wept.

I did quite like the idea that everyone has a gap in their general knowledge that makes them seem like idiots - Robin thinking that the North Pole is not a real place, Ted mispronouncing chameleon etc. Its true, we all have things like that. I thought that the Rolling Stones were American 'till I was 19. When people found out they ridiculed me for days. The ones that the cast brought up seemed a little forced though... maybe I just didn't like the episode much.

Not much to say about this episode really, not many gags, weird casting and Barney not being funny enough.
FOUR THUMBS UP

Watch it all on Amazon: How I Met Your Mother: Season One

No comments:

Post a Comment